HOW TO HOST A LIVE STREAM VIRTUAL GARAGE SALE
Live streamed virtual selling is the new trend sweeping the globe, and it’s not hard to see why. It’s instant, it’s fun, and it makes your dream of hosting your own TV shopping channel come true 🙌
This year’s Garage Sale Trail is your chance to give it a go with two big weekends of virtual garage sales happening all across Australia on 13-14 & 20-21 November. You choose to live stream on any social media channel including Instagram, Facebook, TikTok or YouTube.
If you think hosting a live stream virtual sale is the way to go for you, read on for our tips on how to make it work👇
STEP 1 SET UP YOUR VIRTUAL GARAGE SALE LISTING
First things first. Complete our online registration form and set up your virtual garage sale listing. Registration is free and takes no more than five minutes. If things change, you can edit any of your sale details at any time simply by logging in to your Garage Sale Trail account.
Once signed up you get:
- Access to a virtual garage sale success kit with heaps more tips and promotional materials
- An invitation to join the virtual garage sale support group on Facebook
- Your very own virtual garage sale page and URL to share with friends and family to get them involved
- Added to the national listings page viewed over 2 million times over the Garage Sale Trail campaign
STEP 2 DECIDE WHAT TO SELL
Select a small number of high quality pieces that are easily shippable as you never know where people will be joining your sale from.
We recommend choosing 10-20 items. Fashion, accessories, small homewares and books work a treat. Make sure you give everything a good clean and have it looking its best.
Last but not least, number each item individually from 1-20 to help you keep track and make it easier for people to buy (we provide templates for this when you sign up).
STEP 3 GET ACROSS THE DETAIL
Prepare a brief description of each item, the size/measurements, price, condition and anything else special you think will sell it.
Use the template provided in your seller dashboard when you sign up 👇to help you get prepared and have it all ready to go before sale day for smooth saleing (see what we did there?).
STEP 4 GET A BUDDY INVOLVED
Rope in your hubbie, teenager or a housemate to help on the day. They can hold your phone if you don’t have a tripod/phone stand, respond to DMs and help with packing once your live stream is over.
STEP 5 PROMOTE YOUR SALE
Telling your friends and family you’re hosting a virtual garage sale is super important in the lead up to the event.
Share your virtual garage sale listing on social media and post sneak peeks of what you have for sale on your socials. You’ll get access to some great Story and feed templates to help you do this when you sign up.
STEP 6 DECIDE HOW YOU’LL ARRANGE PAYMENTS & SHIPPING
It’s really up to you how you decide to take payments and ship items to their new lucky owners but here’s how we recommend you do it:
- Ask shoppers to DM you SOLD with the item number or a screenshot of the item they want.
- Reply to the first person to message you, confirming how to make payment, and including the fee for shipping if required.
- Once payment is received, confirm where it’s being sent.
- If payment isn’t received within an agreed timeframe, simply repeat with the next person to post (known as the NIL or next in line).
PayPal can be used to take payment at your virtual garage sale. You can generate a unique PayPal.Me link and add it to your Garage Sale Trail listing.
For shipping, we recommend adding a standard, flat fee to all orders to cover your costs.
STEP 7 DO A TEST RUN
If you haven’t gone live on Instagram, Facebook or TikTok before, give a quick practise (tips here). This will help you feel more confident and work out any kinks before the event.
WHAT TO DO ON SALE DAY:
✅ Share, share, share - Post on your socials a couple of hours before kick off to remind people to tune in.
✅ Go from public to private - Make sure you change your privacy settings from private to public so you can reach more people. On Instagram and TikTok simply change your privacy settings. On Facebook, set your live video to public when you start broadcasting (more on this later!)
✅ Make your space look great - Set yourself up in a quiet, well lit, tidy spot so everyone can clearly see your stuff and hear you. For added je ne sais quoi use the burning and other decorations provided in your seller dashboard.
✅ Put your items in order & have them close to hand - have each of your items organised from 1-20 so all you have to do is simply grab one right after the other without worrying about rummaging.
✅ Go live & have fun - Jump on to your live video (not sure how, scroll down for more or watch this), wait a few minutes for people to join (you’ll be able to see how many people are on the live) and introduce yourself! Tell people who you are, where your treasures are from & what you’re selling - let your personality shine through.
✅ Explain payments & shipping - Make the terms of sale and shipping clear for your viewers so they can easily buy the items you have on offer. We suggest getting them to slide into your DMs with SOLD and the item number or a screenshot of the item. The first person to message wins.
This is where having a buddy comes in handy, as they can monitor the items that sell whilst you woo the audience. But, no buddy no worries - just go through the comments or DMs at the end to match the item with their new owner. Remember to tell them the shipping costs as well.
✅ Show off what you got - Model or demonstrate the items one by one with their number and give them the air time they deserve! Go through the size, fit, quality & any special features it has, whilst making sure you talk through any imperfections.
✅ Getting paid - Once you’ve finished your sale go through and secure payment for all of your sold items. If payment isn’t received within a set timeframe (even just an hour) contact the next in line and repeat.
✅ Ship It - Once payment is received, ship your items within a week.
HOW TO GO LIVE ON FACEBOOK
1. Click What’s on your mind, [Name]? at the top of your News Feed (as if you were to write a status).
2. Click then click Live Video.
3. Change privacy to public from the drop down menu (example below).
4. Write something about your live video such as “I’m part of the Garage Sale Trail – watch this stream to snap up a bargain”.
5. Click Go Live in the bottom left.
HOW TO GO LIVE ON INSTAGRAM
1. Tap + in the top right of your feed
2. Scroll to LIVE at the bottom of the screen & pop in a title using the lines on the left of the screen then such as “I’m part of the Garage Sale Trail – watch this stream to snap up a bargain”.
3. Tap the live button at the bottom of the screen and you’re away!
EXTRA TRAIL TIP
To turn off requests to go live with you, tap (iPhone) or (Android) then select Turn Off
Requests To Go Live.
HOW TO GO LIVE ON TIKTOK
1. First step to going live on TikTok is having over 1000 followers - Live streaming features aren’t available on the platform for those under this threshold.
2. To go live, tap the create button at the bottom of your screen.
3. Swipe across to the LIVE in the navigation, pick an image, and write a title for your stream such as “I’m part of the Garage Sale Trail – watch this stream to snap up a bargain”.
4. Once you’re ready, press Go LIVE to start your stream.
NEED MORE INSPO?